Thursday, June 6, 2013

Rosemary Pork Loin with Crispy Sort-Of-Cracklings

Rosemary Pork Loin
I say "sort-of-cracklings" because my pork loin didn't come with the skin on.  It only had the standard layer of fat that I would usually trim away, leaving only a thin layer to keep the meat moist.  This time, I decided to keep the fat and do a slow roast to render away most of the fat, leaving a crisp, crackling-like (or crack-like) layer on top.  I had to restrain myself from eating all of the sort-of-crackling by itself.
The long and slow roast at a lower temperature combined with what started out as a thick layer of fat resulted in the most tender pork loin that I have ever roasted.

Rosemary Pork Loin with Sort-of-Cracklings
1 1/2 lb pork loin w/ fat layer intact
4 tbsp fresh rosemary
1 tsp salt
pepper
*Optional: potatoes, carrots or other root vegetables

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Rub pork loin with rosemary, salt and pepper.  Place in baking dish or roasting pan, fat side up.  Roast for 80-90 min.  *Optional: After 40 minutes, arrange root vegetables in the baking dish/roasting pan around the pork loin.  Toss the root vegetables around after 15 minutes.  The fat layer should have mostly rendered away, leaving only a thin, crispy layer.
Let rest for 10 minutes before slicing.  Do not skip this step, resting allows the juices to redistribute and keeps the meat moist.  Slicing without resting your meat will dry it out, as all the meat juices will leak out.  Center should be the slightest blush of pink or meat thermometer should read 145 degrees F.

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful poѕt howeveг , I was wоndering
    if yоu could write а lіtte more on this
    tοpic? I'd be very grateful if you could elaborate a little bit more. Kudos!

    My blog Better Health [Www.Ssylok.Net]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course. I would be glad to do another more in-depth post on this recipe. Stay tuned...

      Delete
  2. I agree to anonymous up here and because this looks delicious no doubt about that... this will make in my moms cooking recipes definitely if I'll be cooking this at home.

    ReplyDelete