Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Steamed Pork Patty w/ Shrimp Paste

I was watching a Hong Kong drama in which one of the characters referenced this homestyle dish: Haw Jurng Jing Yok Bang, or Steamed Pork Pattie w/ Shrimp Paste. Here is a little excerpt from the scene:
Husband was in an accident which left him crippled. He is majorly depressed after he got out of the hospital. Wife decides to make Husband's special dish for him to cheer him up. Husband's Brother came over for dinner and was praising her cooking skills. Wife says that the Steamed Pork Pattie w/ Shrimp Paste is Husband's fave. She even made a special trip to go buy the shrimp past because they had run out. Husband says that this dish is so good that he'd have to have at least 3 bowls of rice to go with it.
I didn't even pay attention to the rest of that episode. I was obsessed with trying out that dish. I mean, three bowls of rice? It's gotta be good. The only problem is that I couldn't find any recipes online and you can bet that this isn't something you can find on any menu. I can't read Chinese, so if anyone knows of a place that has this dish on their "secret" Chinese menu, please let me know.
Do I give up? My obsession mind would not allow it. So I made up my own recipe. Most homestyle Chinese dishes are pretty basic and true to their namesakes. Here it is:
Steamed Pork Patty with Shrimp Paste
1 lb ground pork
1/2 tbsp shrimp paste
1/2 tsp sugar
1 stalk green onions/scallions, minced (green parts only)
Mix all ingredients together really well. Form patties and place into a wide bowl for steaming. Set bowl in a pot of water that just reaches the bowl's half way point. Cover and steam for about 20 minutes after the water starts boiling or until the meat is no longer pink, depending on how thick your meat patties are. Serve over rice.
I started my rice just before I prepared the pork patties and I cursed my rice cooker for not working faster.
I had this meal with a side of steamed bok choy w/ oyster sauce. I poured some of the jus from the pork patties over my rice. It was delicious. I too had three bowls of rice.

6 comments:

  1. I'm making this for dinner tonight. I think I'll try to shoot it, but I don't think it will be as pretty as your picture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please let me know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom use to make something like this, but she would form the pattie in a metal plate and steam it. I also remember it fried and with chopped bits of black fungus mushroom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Van - I remember the shredded black fungus mushrooms being incorporated as well. I'll have to add that next time. I was chatting with her the other day and she also suggested making it with fu yur (fermented bean curd) instead of shrimp paste. I'm gonna give that a go as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks delicious! I'll try this out soon... Any tips for making these? Hope to share it in my blog http://foodsuncovered.wordpress.com/ when I'll be making these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle - Please do feel free to share on your blog. My mom also gave me another trick. After mixing the ingredients together, pick up the mixture and slam it back into the bowl. It gives the patties a bouncy feel when you bite into it. I like to seal the mixture up in a freezer bag and slam it as hard as I can onto the counter a couple dozen times. The more times you do this, the bouncier the meat.

      Delete