Sunday, December 2, 2012

Fish Ball with Roe Filling

On one of my recent asian grocery shopping trips, I spent some extra time browsing through the frozen dumplings section.  I discovered these little gems.
I usually buy the regular fish balls, which are fish meatballs made from cod or haddock. They are great additions to asian noodle soups.  They are usually boiled in a spicy curry sauce and sold on skewers in Hong Kong.  In Sweden, they are called fiskbullar and usually sold in cans.
I keep a constant supply of homemade chicken stock in the freezer.  There are always  either egg or rice noodles in my cupboards for those lazy meal days.  Add some green onions, fried shallots, protein and veggies.  Voilà.  Instant meal. 

I cooked the fish ball with roe in the stock for my noodle soup.  The roe imparted a slight sweetness into the soup.  The fish ball had a mild flavor with a firm texture that is nice to bite into.  
I was back at the store the very next day to get more.  That's when I discovered these:


4 comments:

  1. What area do you live? What store did you go to buy? I've been looking everywhere with no luck. Please help

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous - I found those in the frozen section of 99 Ranch Market. Hopefully there is one near you. Good luck.

      Delete
  2. where do you get those ? i've been to 99 Ranch Market but I still can't find it. Which 99 Ranch Market did you go ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got them at the 99 Ranch in San Diego: 7330 Clairemont Mesa Blvd San Diego, CA 92111
      Maybe check the frozen section at other asian grocery stores? Good luck!

      Delete